Tuesday, April 26, 2016

First Full Day in Paris

Detail from the north door of the west facade of Notre Dame
On my first full day I went to Notre Dame Cathedral and Pere Lachaise Cemetery - and then BACK to Notre Dame for a concert.  I couldn't get into the park just behind the flying buttresses because a movie was being filmed.  When I asked what it was the guard just said, "Indian," so I'm guessing Bollywood.  My only consolation was that, as a film-maker, Caleb will probably also be denying entry to people to certain places someday! :-)
Notre Dame de Paris

As with my first (not full) day in Paris a Spanish-speaking man came up to me to ask if I wanted my picture taken.  So sweet!  This man was from Buenos Aires and only in Paris for a day.  I continue to be so happy that my classroom-learnt Spanish really works out here in the real world!
Main Entrance to Pere Lachaise Cemetery - burial place of Sophie Germain and Joseph Fourier (and Chopin and Edith Piaf)





Pere Lachaise cemetery is like a city unto itself!

Earlier in the day I toured Notre Dame, but while there I saw a poster for a concert at night.  I've been pursuing organ concerts all over Europe, from city to city as I go.  I didn't look closely enough at the poster (pictured below a bit) to see that this was about soloists, so, at best, the organ was an accompaniment rather than a solo itself.  While it wasn't what I expected, the concert was, nevertheless, sublime.




Soloists leaving the stage after the performance

No comments:

Post a Comment