Saturday, April 30, 2016

Garnier Opera House


It's funny how some of the things I have looked forward to most have proven underwhelming for me, and that some of the things I have just thrown in as an afterthought have knocked me off my feet.  Garnier Palais, the Paris Opera House, was one of the second.

I was really tired after hours of walking earlier in the day on yet another mathematical treasure hunt, and I was going back and forth about whether to go to the opera house or not.  My thought process finally tipped in the direction of going, and I'm so glad I did!  From the moment I walked in my jaw dropped to the floor, and I think it stayed there until I left.

I had initially put this post up as a "teaser" with just the one picture above - wondering if you would recognize the chandelier - as this is the opera house of Phantom of the Opera fame.




 






"Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before
Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar
And you'll live as you've never lived before

Softly, deftly, music shall surround you
Feel it, hear it closing in around you
Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind
In this darkness which you know you cannot fight
The darkness of the music of the night"


No comments:

Post a Comment