Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Au Revior Paris

Love Locks
I've seen quite a few "love locks" in various places in Europe, especially Paris, but nowhere near as many as on this bridge, the Passerelle de SolfĂ©rino, which I was crossing in order to get to Musee de l'Orangerie, a museum of impressionist and post-impressionist art.  The Orangerie is most famous for it's collection of eight Water Lilies murals by Claude Monet, for which a space was created and for which the murals were then created.  They occupy two oval-shaped rooms.


Yes, in fact, I did have to wait forever for people to be out of the way in order to get those pictures!
After 5 weeks still not rocking the selfies - two weeks to go to try to nail this.
Monet seemed to be the big draw here, but there was much else as well - including the likes of Picasso, Cezanne, Renoir, Matisse, Rousseau, etc.
Cezanne
Picasso, of course - 
Surprisingly not Picasso!
This one's for you, Barb ;-)
Even the cafeteria was artsy!

After this was my time in Jardin des Tuileries, which I've already posted about here - then La Place de la Concorde where the guillotine was set up during the French Revolution and then on to Champs Elysees and the Arc de Triomphe.  (There were mathematical travels in the midst of that as well, but I'm trying not to do double-duty with the pictures - though I should add the Place de la Concorde images to Sophie Germain's post, as she grew up during the Revolution.) OK - on with the pictures.
Place de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde
Looking from Place de la Concorde down Champs Elysees to Arc de Triomph - it's all right there together.
Champs Elysees
Some shops along Champs Elysess:





Don't worry, hubby; I didn't do any shopping! :-)
Arc de Triomphe


Dinner on Champs Elysees!

 I was all excited to find a place with the option of a "mini" margharita (aka CHEESE!) pizza, but I'm so focused on speaking as much French as I can that I think I forgot to say "mini."  Alas  .  .  .

Saturday was mostly math stuff.  The Pantheon counts as math stuff AND tourism, so a few pictures of that - then went on to Garnier's Opera House (famous for Phantom) but have already posted on that.

This is where Foucault's Pendulum originally hung
The crypt of the Pantheon:





Mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange is on the top left near the window.  He's why I went to the Pantheon, but I couldn't get near his "sepulture."
 On Sunday I took time to walk along the Seine from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame as a "good-bye" to Paris.  It was not only a Sunday, but it was May Day, which is a huge holiday in Paris; many museums that only close a couple of days a year close on Christmas Day and May Day.  So many people were out - many just sitting by the river reading and sun-bathing on what was a rare sunny day this week.  After packing I went out at night to see if the Eiffel Tower was lit up - was it ever!!



My pretty coconut and strawberry ice-cream by the octagonal basin in Jardin des Tuileries.

Looking toward Ile de la Cite



She sure found a great spot for reading!









Happy May Day!!!




Au Revior Paris!


********************************************
It goes without saying, but I'm up and running again!  Yea!!  Thanks for support via prayer and via advice.  AVG.com and malwarebytes.org (special thanks to Joan!) worked wonders!  I'm cautiously optimistic.  Prior to having such computer issues I had posted a "teaser" that I didn't get a chance to complete.  I finally finished that post.  The initial image was of the chandelier from the Garnier Opera house - in other words, the chandelier from Phantom of the Opera.  This opera house was one of the most stunning things I saw in Paris, and that's saying something!  If you want to see the post you can scroll down a few or click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment