Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Leipzig Sights and Sounds

 At Leipzig Gewandhaus Concert Hall
Manfred and I had lunch at Auerbachs Keller, which is quite famous as having been the setting in Goethe's Faust where Mephistopheles first takes Faust on their travels.  As a dining (or at least as a drinking) establishment it goes back at least to 1438.  This was Goethe's favorite wine bar, and he frequented it while a student at Leipzig University 1765-1768.

Faust-related sculpture
A student bewitched by Mephisopheles

University of Leipzig - yep, we went to the top of the tower!
Chapel of Leipzig University
Heidi and Manfred at the Monument to the Battle of the Nations
With bubbles!
(Aside - at the end of the day, on our way back to the train station, we were asked if we were heading to the Goth gathering; apparently we looked the part since we were both dressed entirely in black.)




After seeing and going up into this impressive monument we went back into town.  I got a picture of the Rathaus (town hall), which has a clock tower positioned in such a way that it cuts the building into a golden section.

We had seen Thomaskirche earlier in the day, the church where Bach had been kapellmeister, but I waited with those pictures until last in order to segue into the videos.  We happened upon practice going on here, as we had in Halle as well, so I got some video of that as well as some other sounds around Leipzig.






Now for the sounds of Leipzig - first the a bit of the practice we walked into at Thomaskirche -



Then what we heard upon walking out of Thomaskirche - a bit different from what we heard on the inside.  (In Scotland it was bagpipes; in Germany it's accordions!)


And then I felt like my life had a soundtrack!  Sometimes when I watch movies I wish my life had a soundtrack in order to suit my mood or to fit and accentuate any given situation.  The guy waiting with us at the tram stop was kinda blasting his music, and it felt like being in a movie (or maybe I was just tired)  .  .  .  anyway, I've spent a lot of time in the middle of roads, either waiting for trams or waiting for traffic to clear on one side, so, here's the experience with gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment