Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Update from Back in the States


A "good-bye" through simultaneous photos at the Hauptbahnhof ("railway station") on Saturday, May 14, 2016 between me and Dr. Manfred Stern before I zoomed off to end my sabbatical travels - leaving behind this new dear friend and northern Europe and the beautiful city of Halle, Germany.
I bounced into California for three days before bouncing back eastward across much of the American continent for my son's college graduation.
And now, as of today, I am finally hanging out in one time zone for the foreseeable future!  However, this does not mean I am done posting!  I have mathematicians and locations I haven't touched on yet but will be posting about (though somewhat more slowly than during my travels), and I have posts that are yet "In Progress" that I will be finishing.

Here is what I yet plan to do at the moment - perhaps more as well!  I will change this post to reflect what has been completed as I finish each one:

Planned Upcoming Posts:

Worship in London                                                             (Completed May 26, 2016)
Handel House                                                                   (Completed May 28, 2016)
G. H. Hardy                                                                      (Completed June 4, 2016)
Long-overdue London Wrap-up                                            (Completed June 7, 2016)
More Mathmaticians & Miscellaneous Math Stuff                 (Completed July 13, 2016)
Closing Highlights                                                             (Completed July 15, 2016)

Posts in Progress:

Poet Robert Fergusson                                                       (Completed July 27, 2016)
David Hilbert                                                                      (Completed July 19, 2016)
Mathematical Gottingen                                                      (Completed August 5, 2016)

I'm also beginning to sort through all the many threads of information about people, places and events that I encountered in this trip and these studies, am needing to determine exactly how to weave them together into the talks I will be giving in the fall - as well as into elements that I can effectively incorporate into my teaching.  Somehow I'll also need to find a way to write up a final report in a full yet succinct way for the college.  Manfred and I found that we have many interests in common, so I hope as well to do some collaboration with him.  My travels may be done, but the sabbatical is going to echo in my life and in my teaching for a long time and in many ways.

But for now,  a couple more brief glimpses of that final city for me, Halle, the city of the five towers.  These videos were taken in the marketplace early in the morning before I hopped on the train - a view from below, and a view from above.  (The market booths were just getting set up, and there was some event taking place behind me in the marketplace - hence the loud speaker.)





No comments:

Post a Comment